- So Gina, I see here that you have experience as a hotel receptionist.
Why did you decide to work in Australia?
- Well, I’d been travelling around Asia, sort of a post-university
degree extended holiday, and I met the manager of the Gecko while he was
on holiday in Bali. He said he was looking for a receptionist, and he
actually gave me the job on the beach at Bali! I was so lucky.
- Yes you were, So how does that job compare to the Regency in London?
- Oh completely different. In Australia I think I learned how to relate
to customers and other hotel staff, but at the Regency I saw how a good
hotel really functions on a day-to-day basis. Their computerised booking
system and in-house communications are totally up-to-date, and Peter
Smith, the assistant manager there, really taught me a lot about hotel
- How did you become fluent in German? Have you spent any time in Germany?
- Only a few weeks as a tourist. My mother was born in Berlin. She came
to the UK in the early 60’s with her family. I spend a lot of time with my
grandparents and they speak German at home. I grew up hearing German and I
studied it at A level too.
- And your degree is in English.
- That’s right.
- How’s your Spanish?
- Quite basic, although I’d love to study Spanish. Do you get many
Spanish speakers staying at the hotel?
- As a matter of fact we do, and we expect to see an increase this year…….