What happens to the verb tense in indirect speech?
"I don’t speak English very
well" I told him I didn’t speak English very well.
"Where are you from?"
he asked me where I was from
"Can I buy you a drink?"
he asked if* he could buy me a drink
(*) When do we use
Now complete the tense changes for direct and indirect speech.
is/are going to
Complete Maria's conversation with Steve by writing the verbs in the correct tense. Use the
original conversation to help you.
just met a really friendly boy called Brad. He said I was lovely, and then he
asked me what I was doing here. I told him I didn’t speak English very well and
then he asked me where I was from. I told him and then he asked if he could buy
me a drink. Of course I said no...
...and that I
for you. He asked if you
English and I said that you , and then he asked me how long I
you. I told him that I
you at a party last week and that we
married next month. He was surprised and he asked me where you , so I told him that you
to look for cigarettes, but that I didn’t really know where
you . And then he said... if you didn’t come back,
I marry him!
What did you say?
I said we would have to wait and see if you came back!
Choose the correct sentence, a) or b).
Choose said or told to complete the rules. Use the previous four examples to help you.
1. Después de normalmente decimos a quien estamos hablando. No ponemos el 'to' antes del objeto. 2. Después de , no tenemos que decir a quien estamos hablando. Si lo hacemos, ponemos el
'to' antes del objeto. 3. significa informar o mandar a alguien hacer algo. No lo ponemos para introducir una pregunta. 4. no se suele poner antes de un infinitivo.
Correct the following
1. I said my boss I needed a holiday.
2. I told her "goodbye, see you tomorrow"
3. I told Maria "Can I buy you a drink?"
4. I said her I loved her. 5. He said me to wait in his office.
Write say/said or tell/told in the following sentences.
1. me what I can do for you. 2. I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you. What did you ? 3. me you will always love me! 4. I please stop talking. I’m trying to concentrate! 5. She asked me to lend her 800 Euros. I didn’t know what to . 6. Andy to meet us in the pub at 8 o’clock. 7. Why doesn’t she ever ‘please’. She’s so impolite! 8. Andy Craig to buy some milk
- 'Tell' también se utiliza para dar órdenes o consejos
You must tell the truth = Debes decir la verdad Don't tell lies = No digas mentiras