In the texts about alternative medicine on the previous
page, there were two examples of phrasal verbs with the particle ‘down’. Lie
down (Barry) and calm down (James). In these phrasal verbs, the verb keeps
its normal basic meaning, but the particle adds to or modifies it.
‘…you lie down on a bed and let someone stick needles in you.’
There are a few phrasal verbs with down that
are used when you move your body to a sitting or resting position:
To lie down
To sit down
To bend down
To kneel down
To bow down
‘…and this calms him down and helps him sleep.’
Here, ‘down’ means reducing or becoming less. Look at these examples:
To bring down
To come down
To cool down
To die down
To go down
To keep down
To slow down
To turn down
Here are some more examples of phrasal verb particles modifying
Up – completely (lock up, shut up, tidy up, drink up, eat up)
On – continuation (carry on, go on, work on)
Down – onto paper (write down, note down, jot down, take down)
Off – to another place (drive off, run off, walk off, wander off)
Around – do nothing (hang around, mess around, fool around)
Choose a particle (UP, DOWN, ON, OFF, AROUND) to improve the following sentences.
1. It wasn't enough for her simply to
hear new sounds or words. She had to see them written
2. Don’t forget to lock the shop before you leave.
3. Come on drink ! If we don’t leave now we’ll miss the last train.
4. She noted the answers so that she could try the exercise again later in the week.
5. Don’t take any notice of me. You just carry
and pretend I’m not here.
6. The government is trying to bring unemployment.
7. You can’t take him seriously, he’s always fooling
8. He was very upset about it, but he calmed
9. They waste their free time hanging the shopping centre all day.
10. I'm waiting for the prices to come before I change my car.
11. Let food cool before putting it in the fridge or freezer.
12. Go , finish your story. I’m dying to know what happens to the
fish and the umbrella.
13. When interest rates go , people and businesses are encouraged to borrow and spend
more, boosting the economy.
14. I was just speaking to your sister and she wandered
to get another drink.
15. I’d like to have a quick word with you before you run
16. When the liquid boils, turn the heat and simmer it for 10 minutes.
Check your answers.
Now choose from the particles AWAY, OUT, AFTER, OVER, THROUGH to improve the
1. I’m much too tired to sit
another lesson on phrasal verbs.
2. I’m running late today. Could you hang
the washing before you go to work?
3. We used to have a cat, but he was run by a car a few years ago.
4. After being in captivity for 9 weeks, the hostages were finally
handed to the security forces.
5. The thieves who broke into the vault got
with over a million euros in diamonds.
6. Can I try your new virtual reality game
7. Our cousin is looking our flat when we go on the cruise.
8. We started an online business but it fell
and now I’m looking for a job.
9. I'm going for Christmas so you’ll have to take care of yourself for
10. I’m giving this old laptop if you know anyone who needs one.
11. I ran the thief, but he was too fast and got away.
12. My dad passed a couple of days ago so I won’t be at work for a while.
13. You take your mother. You’re so stubborn!
14. I was attacked in Barcelona. They hit me and ran
with my money and passport.
15. I can't work why they gave her sack. I thought she was the hardest
worker in the office.
16. The accident was pretty bad, but the doctors are optimistic.
They think she’s going to pull .