- I’m here with .. er..
Betsy .. erm.. who’s from America. Hello Betsy, welcome to Mansion
- Hi! Thank you very much. A to be here.
- Thank you. I’d like to ask you about.. erm.. your business
plans for opening a business in Ann Arbor. Erm.. why did you decide to do that? And can you tell us.. erm…
what your plans were?
- I had come back to
Michigan to found a non-profit called Locomotion to raise awareness about links between
environmental toxins and things like cancer. And I did that for three
years. And what people really wanted wasn’t so much the science, they
wanted immediate strategies to reduce toxins in there
- And what sort of toxins are we speaking about here?
- Hmm…airborne, from all the manufacturing around Detroit, or
waterborne, you know whatever seeps into the water table. Things in
consumer . Erm..so I thought if I open a store and provided a variety
of paints, for example, with no volatile compounds, or adhesives, or mattresses that didn’t off gas,
flame retardants, that they .
- And are people a..aware of these dangers in..in society by
these products, or is it something new?
- Well… I think it’s kind of not so new but not everybody’s
aware of it, which is why, having spent three
pounding everybody on the head about it.. erm.. they were
more or less ready. I thought.
- So, where do you go from here, w..what are your plans f…for
the future? As far as this is concerned. Are you just
- I’m put it on the shelf and wait until I meet the right person
or people with the same interests, and who would be capable of giving
me financial .
- Okay well good luck for the future.
- Thank you so much.
to found = fundar, establecer
aware (adj.) = enterado, consciente de algo
to raise awareness = hacer que se den cuenta de algo
links = enlaces, conexiónes
to seep = filtrarse
store = tienda (en inglés británico – shop)
a compound = un compuesto
flame retardants = a prueba de fuego (flame = llama)
pounding everybody on the head = (to pound = golpear, machacar,
to drop it = dejarlo, abandonarlo
financial backing = respaldo financiero
Informal Spoken English
gonna = going to
wanna = want to
gotta = got to