1. According to Innes, in what way is English food different now than it was before? 2. What two things do pork pies mainly consist of? 3. True or false, ‘Black Pudding’ is a sausage with blood inside? 4. Why is fish and chips expensive?
Listen again and write the missing words in the following
transcription. Use the pause button on your media player to give you time to
- M.I. Innes, welcome back to Mansion Ingles. Today I’d like to ask you about food.
- Innes. Yeah gladly, fire away.
- M.I. English food…erm… has a of not being very popular
. What do you think on that subject?
- Innes. It’s definitely an acquired taste,..erm… certainly now …tha…the food in England’s much more
.. err .. the … the Indian ..em ..
influence, the Chinese, .. th .. the Italian, all of this type of food..erm..is..is now being introduced in England and has
part of our culture as well.
- M.I. But if we limit it to English food only, what’s your
- Innes. Personally, .
- M.I. Do you make them at home?
- Innes. no…no...er...it’s... it’s a special…er…mix of…erm… pretty much the off cuts of pork, mixed
in..er.. into a pastry base.
- M.I. Well that sounds . Are there any other types of food that you like from England?
- Innes. Erm..black pudding is particularly nice.
- M.I. And please tell us. What is black pudding?
- Innes. Black pudding is a type of, shall we say a
,…erm..made from…er…congealed blood from bulls.
- M.I. I see. And the good old English fish 'n' chips is still popular, Do you like it?
- Innes. Very much so. Erm … now the ..er..the cod stocks have been er…have been
and the price is very expensive..er..but no, if I…if I can afford it, very much so.
- M.I. And what is your favourite food?
- Innes. It would have to be , after the pubs shut.
- M.I. Well, thank you very much.
- Innes. Thank you for asking me again Craig.
Try to find words and expressions with a similar meaning to the
1. reduced 2. close (verb) 3. combination 4. pieces not usually used 5. particular kind of food 6. especially 7. Quantity/amount 8. varied and free from national limitations
9. speak to me 10. appreciation from experience