- Fran, welcome to La Mansión del Inglés. You used to be a very heavy
casino gambler. What did you used to play at the casino?
- Well, I wouldn't say I was a very heavy
gambler. I used to love gambling, and I used to play roulette. French
roulette and American roulette.
- I see, and how many different casinos did you used to go to in
- Well, I don't think there's many that I haven't been to in
London. There was about three in the centre of London.
- Ah huh… and Fran, did you go anywhere else to
- Yes, all over. I went to West Cliff, which is in Essex,
Bournemouth, which is in Sussex. But I've never really played roulette
- Fran, what did you enjoy about gambling? Wh…what was the
attraction for you?
- Well, it gave you a sense of excitement. When
they used to spin the wheel. It was adrenalin, really.
- Did you go alone?
- Sometimes. Sometimes I used to go with friends, and I used
to take my mother and my sister. When I was sitting of an evening
feeling very bored, I just used to go on my own then.
- And how much money could you lose in one evening, Fran?
- Ahh, that would be telling…depending on how much I had on me
at the time. Well if I was to say £5 , you'd call me a
liar, so I won't say.
- And what's the most you've ever won?
- If my husband's not listening, about £200 I would believe.
- Do you miss gambling now, Fran?
- No, not at all. I've settled myself in Spain, and believe it
or not I used to go gambling in England about three or four times a week
and now I just don't think of it. It just doesn't appeal
to me anymore, and I just wonder how I used go all those years ago.
- So tell me, what do you do with your time now?
- Not a lot, actually. I do a bit of reading, a
bit of housework, a bit of cooking, we go out quite a bit, we go out
during the day shopping, and coffee, well…I’ve just
settled myself, there's not a lot you can do really except look after
- Well, thank you very much for joining us Fran, and good luck
with the future.
- Thank you
To gamble = jugar
Gambling = juego
A gambler = un jugador
A heavy gambler = un gran jugador / a exceso / mucho
= en todos partes
Abroad = en el extranjero
A sense of = un sentido de
To spin = girar
The wheel = la rueda
To settle = establecerse, quedarse a vivir
It doesn't appeal to me = No me interesa / No me gusta
To wonder = preguntarse