True or False? Read the following sentences which all contain phrasal verbs. Decide if
the sentences are
FALSE. Follow the example.
Example: If you
bring up your children in New Zealand, they’ll probably speak
1. If you split up with your girlfriend,
you’ll probably get married soon.
2. If your shirt goes with your
trousers they look nice together.
3. If you put your friend up for
the night he/she won’t like you very much the following day.
4. A Mercedes is a car that breaks down
5. If you look after your neighbours
dog, you try to find it.
6. People who put on weight get fatter.
7. It’s not a good idea to eat fish which has
8. One of the first things you should do when
you arrive at an airport or at a hotel is to check out.
9. People usually throw away things
that they don’t want.
10. You should feel very happy if somebody
tells you off.
11. I did up my flat and now it looks
12. The policeman caught me speeding and he
let me off so I had to pay a fine.
13. We weren’t allowed into the night club.
They turned us off.
14. Another way of saying ‘wait a minute ’ is
‘hang on a minute ’.
15. My brother’s got a new motor bike.
Yesterday he let me try it on.
16. I can’t put up with my husband.
He’s so easy to live with.
17. You really take after your
grandfather. You’re so much like him.
18. If a company takes on staff, they
probably have more workers.
19. If a car pulls out, it has a
problem with the engine.
20. A person who makes up a story has
invented it. It isn’t true.
Match the phrasal verbs with a verb or phrase which has a similar meaning.
Follow the example.
VERB OR PHRASE
make up for
the same with group B
VERB OR PHRASE
let (s.o.) down
come up with
Complete the following sentences using the phrasal verbs (in the correct form)
from the previous exercise. Follow the example.
My wife left me for another man six years ago and I
1. We have to get up at 6 tomorrow morning. The guide said we’re
at 7 o’clock. 2. I bought you these flowers. I hope they will
that antique wine glass I broke when I
came to dinner. 3. I can’t on only 600 Euros a
month. It just isn’t enough money. 4. I’m trying to what films are
on at the cinema, but there’s no internet connection. 5. I was cleaning your office yesterday, and I
this photograph of your ex-girlfriend! 6. I know it was you who borrowed my dress Simon. Why don’t you be
honest and to it?
1. I’m sorry but I can’t see you tomorrow. Can we
our meeting until next week? 2. I’m sure we’re paying too much tax (impuestos). I told our
accountant and he’s going to it. 3. To get to the beach from the centre of town, just
the port and turn left when you see
the sea. You can’t miss it. 4. I really don’t feel like going to Brian’s dinner party, but I can’t
. He’s such a nice guy. 5. You’ll never be rich teaching English. Why don’t you
a language school and go into
business for yourself? 6. Danny a good idea for
saving water. Have a shower with your neighbour!
· Aprende los Phrasal Verbs con
un CD interactivo
de forma sistemática y divertida a través de dibujos y animaciones.
presente material es de utilidad para la preparación de FCE. El material online es una pequeña parte de
un completo Curso de FIRST CERTIFICATE disponible en CD Rom
y para su Descarga Online. Si deseas
conocer si tu nivel actual es adecuado para preparar el examen, puedes
realizar también una prueba de nivel.