Read the text and change the word in brackets to form one word that
correctly fits each gap.
I have never had a problem with
appetite. I can eat almost anything, even the over-cooked
that’s served up to me when I go to visit my mum and dad.
I try to eat
basically I’ll eat whatever is put on my plate.
Until, that is, I went to a restaurant in Valencia called "La Boca
Tonta". As soon as my wife and I entered the place, I suspected we had
made a mistake, as we were the only
The first dish looked delicious, but the taste was totally different
(5)(appear). It was
bloody disgusting! I managed a couple of mouthfuls then gave up.
The main course was equally
succulent-looking lamb chops that turned out to be inedible. The dessert
smelt good, but by this time I
everything that was put in front of me in this place. Nevertheless, it
(9)(pass) and I ate
it thankfully. It cost me 80 Euros for a bread roll and a small piece of
gateaux. Apparently, it isn’t the ‘boca’ that’s ‘tonta’, it’s me!
1. A sauce added to a
2. A main dish
3. An adjective to describe meat that has been cooked a lot
4. Layers of alcohol-soaked sponge cake with fruit, custard
and whipped cream
5. A small dish at the start of a meal
6. A small herb, like an onion, added to potatoes, for
7. An adjective to describe meat that has been cooked very
little (pink and bloody)
8. A kind of soup usually containing fish and vegetables
Choose the best word to complete the following food idioms.
1. Don't believe him. I
take everything he says with a pinch of
2. Giving up alcohol and going on this high fibre diet has
given me a lot of energy. I feel full of
3. Thelma doesn’t stop talking about her son, the doctor.
He's the of her eye.
4. I love this new duvet. It keeps my feet as warm as
5. He does literally everything his boss asks him. He knows
which side his is buttered.
6. Let me take one more photo. Come closer together and
smile. Say .
7. Hymen wants a job with a decent salary. He’s not going to
work for .
8. Trina Forest’s latest mp3 download is really popular.
It's selling like hot .
9. May and Ann go everywhere together and they even wear the
same clothes. They're like two in a pod.
10. Look at Jason over there in his BMW sports car and his
Ray Ban sunglasses. He looks as cool as a
, even in this heat.
11. Asking John to arrange a party is just a
for disaster. He's so disorganised.
12. I’d rather find a nice hotel. I don’t like camping.
Sleeping on the floor in a tent just isn't my cup of
¿Quieres recibir en tu e-mail gratis y
periódicamente ejercicios, programas gratuitos, explicaciones y otros recursos
para mantener tu inglés sin esfuerzo? Apúntate a nuestro
cuaderno quincenal de inglés.